Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Re-imagined resolutions

When I was 15 minutes early to my exercise class today and there was barely any room for me to set up my weights on the floor, I remembered that it is, indeed, the beginning of January.  It's a time when everyone has shiny, new resolutions to eat better, exercise more, and lose weight.  While I applaud the new commitment to health, I have to ask what makes it different from last year?  Will they still be here in February?  History has shown time and again that most new year's resolutions don't stick.  When the going gets tough (and it always does), most of us find excuses and bail.  

Not you?  Well, I like your passion, but it's going to take more than that to stick to it.  Habits are incredibly hard to change.  If your resolutions are similar to mine, you're going to need a little help.  One of the first things you'll need to do is share them.  So to get you started, I'll share mine.  Okay, deep breath, here goes.

I resolve to lose 10 pesky pounds by becoming a healthy vegan, not a junk food one. Have you seen all the delicious, packaged (and processed) vegan food that's sprung up in Whole Foods?  And what about all those cookbooks with cupcakes, brownies, and every other mouth-watering dream?  I have convinced myself that, as long as I'm vegan, I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want, and however much I want.  Well, I'm here to tell you that because this has been my attitude, I've actually gained weight, not lost it.  I will use the 21-Day Vegan Kickstart from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM), and I will either write down or photograph everything I eat.  I will also sign up for the 60-day weight loss challenge at my gym with a friend at work (that's another secret to success - make sure you have moral support!).  I will resolve to exercise (vigorously!) at least 3 days/week and more where possible, and I will limit my breakfast burrito fetish to one day/week.

Okay, now I want to hear yours.  See you at the gym!      

No comments:

Post a Comment