Saturday, May 21, 2011

These documentaries could save your life... and maybe even your soul

This week, I saw two documentaries that, though seemingly unrelated to each other, impacted me in a combined way.  They are each in limited distribution (well, in Phoenix anyway) and just happened to release during the same time period.  


Forks Over Knives is a research and clinical trials-driven film that retraces the steps of Dr. T. Colin Campbell and Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn as they independently realize through their research that a plant-based diet can save lives.  Yes, I did say "save lives".  Dr. Campbell's The China Study, the largest nutrition research project ever undertaken, proves that a plant-based diet can not only prevent heart disease, type 2 diabetes, cancer and other ailments, but it can actually reverse them.  Dr. Esselstyn comes to the same conclusion through his clinical trials and also learns that casein, an ingredient in animal products (most notably in cheese and milk) can actually turn on cancers.  So why isn't everyone eating this way?  Unfortunately, corporations, factory farmers, government agencies and even the scientific community benefits when consumers continue to eat meat and dairy.  And if this thought makes you angry, I felt the same way!  


I Am is a documentary by Tom Shadyac who directed Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, Liar, Liar and other side-splitters.  After a bike accident where he suffered debilitating symptoms that weren't getting better, he thought more about his life and what he'd learned.  And he realized that money wasn't making him happy.  Like most of us, he'd been taught that competition and "winning" was the route to happiness.  Here he was, at the top of his game, and he felt nothing.  He met with top scientists and thought leaders and found something profound.  Not only are humans not hard-wired for competition, compassion and cooperation are in our DNA.  Moreover, we are all connected.  I know this sounds like new-age stuff (I thought so too, at the beginning of the film), but he proves his point in a very compelling way.  And it's our responsibility to help others on this planet, not run over them on our quest for the top.


Together, these films made me think about what my best life looks like.  Do I want to continue killing myself, animals and the environment by eating animal products?  (We know the answer since I am vegan).  And how do I live my best life - is all the "stuff" really important?  Do I need to work for that big corporation so that I can have nicer clothes or a bigger TV?  Both films put into perspective what a best life might look like and helped me to refocus my energies.  Take a few hours out of your day and see both of these films before they leave theaters.  I would bet that you will take something profound away from each.   

No comments:

Post a Comment