Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Being vegan: Always fulfilling but not always easy

Since going vegan earlier this year, I've found that the most difficult part of being vegan is travel.  I generally have few issues when I stick close to home, but travel can be tricky.


We went to L.A. for the holiday weekend, staying with family friends.  I came prepared with soy yogurt, Boca burger and a Clif bar.  All was well until we went to the 4th of July party.  I was hungry since I had been avoiding eating animal products (which is different than my approach at home - I cook delicious recipes with foods I haven't necessarily tried previously).  I spied bean dip and chips, and had a taste.  The dip was delicious.  I must have had at least 1/2 of the bowl when I ran into the woman who brought it.  "Your bean dip is delicious!  How do you make it?"  She responded with "Beans, salsa and lots of cheese.".   


Live and learn.  Next time, I will ask before I dive into anything homemade - no matter how good it looks.  And I will always bring a dish, so I know it's animal product free.


Happy 4th!  

No comments:

Post a Comment