Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Vegan inspiration

As committed as I am to life as a vegan, sometimes it's hard to stay motivated.  I'll admit - I stole a bite of my son's pesto pasta the other day.  And I found myself fantasizing about pizza with cheese yesterday.  I'm not in danger of falling off the wagon, but sometimes, when presented with temptations, it can be hard to remember why a vegan lifestyle is so important.


Luckily, there are books like The Bond by Wayne Pacelle, CEO of Human Society United States (HSUS) and Farm Sanctuary by Gene Baur, founder of Farm Sanctuary in upstate New York.  After immersing myself in these books, I've gotten a full-scale reminder of what's at stake in the world of animal cruelty.  These books are both written by men who clearly cherish animals and have devoted their careers and lives to defending them.  There's a warmth and sense of clarity in both books.  As the most advanced species on earth, we have "dominion" over animals; a responsibility to protect and honor them.  Both books detail the best and worst of human behavior.  They share the depths of cruelty, but at the same time offer incredible hope and tell stories of love and redemption.


My blog will be on hiatus for a few weeks for a series of family roadtrips.  And I embark on these roadtrips strengthened by pride in the small role I play to protect innocent animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment