Thursday, March 3, 2011

Can you be vegan and still eat out?

Yes you can, but how easy or difficult it will be depends a lot on where you live.  In large, urban areas, there are generally more vegan options than in rural areas.


I live in suburban Phoenix, but I'm on a side of town where there aren't many vegan options.  I also have friends who aren't interested in eating at vegan restaurants.  So I try to stick with more ethnic restaurants - Mexican and Asian are usually good bets.  If there's nothing vegan on the menu that appeals to you, my recommendation is to ask whether they would be willing to create something simple for you (i.e. a bean burrito with veggies at a Mexican restaurant).  If not, have a back-up plan (something you can order without the cheese, for example).  If your request is something easy that's within their area of specialty, my experience has been that most of the time they will be willing to accommodate.  Be sure to be very friendly when you ask!


Hopefully, as more people make these requests, more restaurants will add vegan options to the menu.  In the meantime, stay resourceful!   

No comments:

Post a Comment