Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Loving What?

As much as I love fresh veggies and fruits, I am usually loathe to visit a strictly vegetarian (much less vegan) restaurant.  Like many of you, I'm sure, I have a pre-conceived notion of an unfulfilling meal that tastes like cardboard.  I don't want to "get through it" just because it's good for me.  I enjoy eating, and I want my food to truly taste good.


But, in the spirit of trying new things and embracing veganism, I decided to check out The Loving Hut.  This is a chain of restaurants throughout the US (most of them in California) that only offers vegan food.  Their motto is "Be veg, go green 2 save the planet".  


The restaurant was in the corner of a strip mall.  I recruited my husband to try it with me and we were impressed with how clean it was.  It's spotless. Very minimalist decor with white tables and chairs.  You take a menu at the front, choose a table, and then walk up to the counter to order and pay when you're ready.  The waitress was very friendly and explained the menu options.  When we returned to our table, there was soup waiting for us in white bowls with the Loving Hut logo.


I ordered the Sweet and Sour Divine which used soy protein instead of chicken.  It was absolutely delicious - didn't taste anything like cardboard!  My husband had the Blissful Fried Rice and I kept stealing bites from his plate.  Truly tasty.  We also had Perrier and our orders came with rice.  Total cost of lunch for both of us was $19.


I've read about the TVs in the restaurant that show the founder, Supreme Master Ching Hai, in a loop on the screens.  We saw the weather in Africa, a few words from the Supreme Master, but the TVs were turned down and I couldn't hear what she was saying.  I didn't find it at all distracting or off-putting.


We will definitely be back.  I'm thrilled to have found a restaurant where I can happily eat anything on the menu!  

No comments:

Post a Comment