Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Vegan Oasis in the Northwest

Could there really be such a thing as a vegan mini mall? I wondered as we drove through Portland, Oregon in the rain last week.  Living in the suburbs of Phoenix, I'm very familiar with the concept of mini (strip) malls, but the idea of several vegan establishments in a row was an exciting thought.


This vegan mall does exist, and it's a row of four vegan businesses at the northeast corner of Southeast 12th Avenue and Stark Street.  The businesses consist of:

  • Herbivore Clothing Company - they sell clothing and accessories made from materials of non-animal origin.  They also have a good selection of books loosely centered around veganism.  Note to those with small kids: some of the words on the clothing are of the four-letter variety, which my son promptly noticed and vocalized.
  • Scapegoat Tattoo - the ink used for the tattoos does not contain animal products.  We didn't enter the store, but peeked in the window.
  • Sweet Pea Bakery - they offer vegan sandwiches, soups, brownies and more baked items.  In honor of our visit on St. Patrick's Day, my son purchased a shamrock cookie that he quickly devoured.
  • Food Fight Grocery - This is a vegan grocery, and I was in heaven.  It's a small space, but offers many items I've had trouble finding such as vegan cheese, snacks, and more.  I purchased a few books and an egg substitute with which I can't wait to experiment.
If you're ever in the Portland area, I recommend a quick stop to these stores.  The mall was easy to find, parking was simple, and the employees were knowledgeable and friendly.  Each business has their own website, so you can visit them in cyberspace too.

Happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment