Saturday, March 19, 2011

A cautionary tale

Cold turkey is always a challenging way to change anything.  Even when becoming vegan.  


I'm often a person of extremes, and when I decide something, I jump with both feet.  I hadn't eaten any meat except fish for 3 years, and didn't think giving up fish and dairy would be that big of a deal for me.  I didn't realize that there's a period of detox - even from dairy - when you give it up all at once.


I spent the last week in Oregon visiting my mom, and was feeling exhausted and headachy.  I since found out that this was likely due to the period of detox that vegans often experience.  Though it's so good for your body, anytime you give up poisons (think how you feel when giving up caffeine), your body needs time to cleanse and it can temporarily weaken you.


So, I hate to admit it, but I did have some dairy while I was there.  It's also very difficult to be a guest in a meat-eating home without being prepared.  And I wasn't.  I learned a lot, however, and will arrive more prepared next time (think snacks).  In the meantime, I'm feeling much better and am more committed than ever to the vegan lifestyle!

No comments:

Post a Comment